The Woodman Inn website loading

The Woodman

Bar | Carvery | Restaurant

The Woodman

built in 1664

Originally known as The Tollgate, the Woodman Inn was built in 1664 and first bought by Hatfield baker and brewer Charles Bradshaw. Many of the original 16th-century features of the building remain to this day, from beautiful wood beams and low ceilings to period fireplaces. The Woodman Inn is now a popular country pub and carvery restaurant, serving up succulent roast meats, fine ales and a welcoming family-friendly atmosphere, We're proud to preserve the history of the Woodman Inn and retain its traditional charm, but with a 21st-century update that our customers love.

Book a Table

History

Dating back to 1800

While the building has existed since 1664, our much-loved pub is first believed to have been named The Woodman Inn in around 1843. Here's an at-a-glance guide to its fascinating history:

  • 1843 The earliest known reference when it was shown as beer house.
  • 1844 Tithe Award lists the owner as Widow Bigg and the occupiers as William Shatton and others.
  • 1851 , 1861. James and Elizabeth Draper were listed as publicans.
  • 1871 James and Elizabeth Draper listed now as beer retailers.
  • 1881 George Dickens was listed as publican and gardener his wife Harriett listed as grocer.
  • 1888 Bradshaw sold the business to Pryor Reid Brewery of Hatfield.
  • 1891 George and Harriett Dickens, George listed as publican and labourer.
  • 1897 Robert Nash is recorded as occupier of the Woodman beer house.
  • 1899 Robert Nash was described as beer retailer and shopkeeper.
  • 1901 Herbert Russell listed as beer house keeper.
  • 1911 Henry Goodman beer house keeper, wife Violet.
  • 1933 George Coster beer retailer.
  • 1937 Mrs. A. B. Coster was licensee.
  • 1939 Frederick Denning Publican, wife Ivy Rose.

Testimonials

from our customers

© 2020 All rights reserved Woodman Inn . Website designed & developed by Graphic Kitchen. Powered by evokeu.
Terms & Conditions. Privacy Policy.

Back To Top